Ab dem 15.05.2020 täglich geöffnet von 11:00 - 18:00 Uhr (17:30 letzer Einlass) Aufgrund der strengen Hygienemaßnahmen und Abstandsregelung, darf der Bergfried leider vorerst nicht bestiegen werden. Wir bitten um Ihr Verständnis.

Metternich Castle

Prince Metternich-Stube

Metternich Castle stands above the charming Moselle village of Beilstein, surrounded by vineyards. The large castle terrace alone is well worth a visit. From here, you can enjoy a stunning panoramic view over the Moselle valley. Refreshments of ice cream, coffee and a selection of cakes are on offer. Enjoy exquisite Moselle wines along with a hearty snack from the castle´s kitchen in the Fürst-Metternich-Stube inn.
Entrance to the castle complex is free for our hotel guests!

Family owned for 50 years

Castle Metternich, which is a very popular excursion destination, has been owned by our family for 50 years. Lovingly maintained and restored, it houses the “Fürst Metternich Stube” restaurant and a spacious sun terrace with magnificent views over the Moselle valley. Quite literally a treat for every one of your senses.

 

 

Fantastic views

Von unserem Hotel aus bieten wir Ihnen einen direkten Zugang zur hauseigenen Burg Metternich.

HISTORY & DESCRIPTION

As early as 1268, the Lords of Braunshorn, who came from the Hunsrück low mountain range, were the verified owners of the castle as fief bearers of the Cologne Archdiocese. The core of the castle appears to be even older though. After the line died out, the daughter Lisa von Braunshorn transferred the castle along with its dominion to her husband Kuno von Winnenburg.

In 1371 it was transferred to the Electorate of the Palatinate. After the Winnenburg family died out in 1637, the lords of Metternich gained possession, having been endowed with the castle in settlement of a quarrel with the Electorate of Trier in 1652. The Metternichs did not enjoy their property for long though, as this “beautiful, noble castle” was destroyed by the French under Count Montalt on 2 February, 1689.

Its lofty location makes Metternich Castle one of the high-altitude castles. Our castle was temporarily occupied by a group of owners, the Winneburgers. Each branch of this family then built their own residential buildings within the castle boundaries, as established by tradition, each even having its own entrances. This kind of complex, occupied by several families, is also called a Ganerbenburg. The defences could therefore be concentrated on the sections at risk of attack, especially on the south side in this case.
There is an impressive 25 m keep (1) rising out of the core of the whole complex, which will have already existed in the 12th century. The point of its five sides is directed against the attack side.
The inner courtyard (2) is surrounded on all sides by buildings and walls.

Directly in front of the keep to the south is a portal building with two round flanking towers (3), which probably date from the 14th century.

A wall extends from the smaller southern round tower (4) to the east with battlements going down to a tower below (5), where a barrage wall extends further east into the valley (6).
All that survives in the west building (7) is a number of vaulted cellars. However, from the east building (8), almost the entire south wall with its chimney remains intact. The wall structure and types of window of this residential building (palace) with its flanking round tower at the north-western corner marks its probable date of origin as the end of the 15th/beginning of the 16th century.
The main gate building (9) with flanking outbuildings is on the north side, at the narrowest point of the inner courtyard. The outer castle (10) with its round tower at the northwest corner (11) protected the north side of the complex.
The main path was secured by another arched gate (12) and an external gate with a portcullis (13). The complex had stables (14) and a castle chapel, the location of which is unclear. A wall leading north (15) then connected to the castle.
en_USEnglish
de_DEGerman en_USEnglish